Community

City Highlight- Garden City

Want to know how Garden City came to be a part of Wayne County? Read on:

“Dating back to 1832, when the first settlers came from Ireland, Mr. John Lathers received a deed signed by Andrew Jackson for 160 acres of land that is now bound by Ford Road, Harrison and Marquette. The original developers of our city pictured it as an independent community containing enough industry to support its citizens. They subdivided large lots, in many cases a full acre, to provide residents ample space for small-scale farming. They patterned the town after the “Garden City” concept that became popular in England during the 19th Century.

In 1927, the area was incorporated into a village with an estimated population of 900 and an area of 3,600 acres. In December 1933, the big step was taken to incorporate Garden City into a city, having an area of 5.8 miles with a population of 2,500. A charter was adopted that year that provided for a mayor-council non-partisan form of government.

November 1975 saw the installation of a City Manager to join with the existing government. Today, the City has a population of just under 28,000 and is the 42nd largest city in Michigan.”

Read more about Garden City on GardenCityMI.org

Fun things to do:

Garden City Miniature Golf
(734) 425-9816
29060 Ford Rd
Garden City, MI 48135

The Straight Farmhouse
(734) 838-0650
6221 Merriman Rd
Garden City, MI 48135

You may also like

Leave a Reply