Getting your kids to eat their greens can be a struggle. Although cauliflower is white (or purple), it’s a healthy option to add to their diet.
Cauliflower’s season begins in October and lasts through April. An excellent source of vitamin C, this versatile vegetable is a favorite around anyone cutting back on carbs because it makes a great replacement for comfort foods like rice, mashed potatoes, and even pizza crust.
Check out some of these awesome ways to get cauliflower on your child’s plate:
Our mac and Cheese by Nourishmint
- 12 oz whole wheat shell pasta
- 2 cups pureed cauliflower (small head of cauliflower, 2 tbsps water)
- 1/4 c plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 c fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 c sharp white cheddar cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground pepper
- Cook pasta according to box directions.
- Steam chopped cauliflower in about 2 tbsp water until tender.
- Blend cauliflower and cooking liquid in food processor or high speed blended until smooth.
- Add evaporated milk and Greek yogurt, pulse until incorporated.
- Cook this cauliflower and dairy mixture in saucepan over low-medium heat.
- Whisk in cheese, salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix cooked pasta into cauliflower cheese sauce.
- Serve! (sprinkle paprika and parmesan cheese for added flavor)
Garlic Mashed Cauliflower by Andie on All Recipies
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, smashed
- 1/3 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon reduced-fat cream cheese
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Place a steamer insert into a saucepan and fill with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Bring water to a boil. Add cauliflower, cover, and steam until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat; cook and stir garlic until softened, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Transfer half the cauliflower to a food processor; cover and blend on high. Add remaining cauliflower florets, one at a time, until vegetables are creamy. Blend in garlic, Parmesan cheese, cream cheese, salt, and black pepper.
Baked Cauli-tots by Brianne at Cupcakes and Kale Chips
- 3 cups shredded cauliflower (about half of a head. See Note.)
- 4 oz. shredded sharp cheddar cheese (about 1 cup)
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cornmeal or bread crumbs or ground oats also work
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- a few grinds black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
1.Preheat your oven to 400°F. Spray a mini muffin tin with oil or coking spray.
2.Place the shredded cauliflower in a kitchen towel and squeeze out the excess moisture.
3.Combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl, and mix together thoroughly. I like to use a fork.
4.Using a spoon or scoop, divide the mixture between the muffin cups and press down firmly into the cups.
5.Bake at 400°F for 20-25 minutes, or until golden brown.
6.Allow to cool slightly before running a knife around the edge to pop the tots out of the muffin tin.
Cauliflower Fried Rice by Kristin at Iowa Girl Eats
- 1 Tablespoon + 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 small head cauliflower
- 1/2 cup frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 green onions
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper
- 3 Tablespoons gluten-free Tamari or soy sauce (dish will not be GF if using soy sauce)
- Combine 1 teaspoon sesame oil with eggs in a bowl then whisk to combine and set aside. Chop cauliflower head into big chunks then send through a food processor fitted with the grating attachment. Alternatively you could grate the cauliflower on a box grater. Measure out 4 cups grated cauliflower then save the rest for another use.
- Heat remaining 1 Tablespoon sesame oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add cauliflower, green onions, and frozen mixed vegetables then stir fry until cauliflower is just beginning to turn tender, 3-4 minutes. Add garlic, season with salt and pepper, and then continue to stir fry until garlic is fragrant, 30 seconds or so.
- Push mixture to the sides of the wok to create an opening in the center then add the eggs and scramble. Toss mixture to combine then drizzle in gluten-free Tamari and mix again to combine. Serve hot.